I worked at Richard M Campbell Veterans Nursing Home for roughly 6 months and was glad to quit. It was without question the worst job I have ever had. The management is simply terrible and do their best to cut corners in quality of care of the residents to save money. For example CNA's never had the supplies needed to complete the tasks assigned (wipes, peri spray, mouth care supplies etc) and yet these tasks were all expected to be done, at least on paper.
Not only this but also the workers are treated poorly, to give a personal example my daughter had to have surgery and I informed the scheduler of this roughly 2 weeks in advance that I would be unable to work on the date of the surgery. After 2 weeks they still were unable to adjust the assignments of CNA's to accomadate to this need. On the date of the surgery I was forced to call in to be with my daughter in the hospital. Upon calling in I was informed by a very rude supervisor that my call it did not count and my absence would be treated as a "No call no show".
They never formally wrote me up for not coming I think because the bastards realized not only that this behaviour on their part was heartless and cruel but it also was illegal given the family medical leave act.
My first few days on the job were rather eye opening to me I was frankly shocked at how poorly the residents were cared for. I have done nursing home CNA work elsewhere and my Richard Campbell makes that nursing home look exemplary. As I already said a lot of the poor care has to do with the management not supplying what is needed I'd say that is about 75% of the problem in regards to the care the other 25% is just the lazy CNA's who will do anything to get out of having to work. Don't get me wrong I got along with my co-workers and didn't have a problem with most of them personally, but most of them were lazy as sin. By way of example of laziness I mean CNA's not answering call lights, not cleaning residents up properly, neglecting residents, and taking long breaks, very long breaks where I as a non-smoker would have to answer all their assigned resident's call lights while they were gone "smoking" for 30 minutes to an hour.
By way of summary the place is a dump, the pay is terrible, the management should be ashamed of themselves, the CNA's are lazy and this all comes at the expense of the care of the residents. I could imagine a nursing home being worse than Richard Campbell that is why I gave it a 2 star rating. I am glad that chapter in my life is over.